16/01/2013

Non-medicinal Headache Helpers

I know this isn't the type of thing I usually post but I thought if I did I may be able to help someone :)

I've been meaning to do this post for a while but every time I went to take the photos I ran out of something! But anyway, here is my blog post on non-medicinal ways to help your headache!



I suffer from headaches all the time, some are worse than others, but I do get them often. As I have been suffering from headaches for years, I have found some non-medicinal ways to help. Some are migraines and some are just at the back of my head and don't seem to go away, but however bad my headache is all these things help me. I hope that they help you too :)

Just before you read this, please know that I am not qualified with any degree (although I am currently doing my Diploma of Nursing). Everything I recommend here is through personal experience and trial and error.




Kool'n'Soothe Gel Sheets

After taking a tablet, the first thing I go for is these gel sheets. You just open the foil packet and take one sheet out, pull off the plastic and stick the blue gel to your forehead or back of the neck. They aren't too cold but are cold enough to give a cooling and soothing effect. They really do work. You get 4 sheets in one box (two in each foil packet). They are supposed to be used once but can be re-used but only if they are put back in the foil after a couple of hours. If you leave them somewhere for too long they will dry and wont work anymore. The gel sticks to your skin but not your hair and doesn't leave any residue. You can get these from Safeway. I highly recommend them!

Magnesium

As it says in this article, Dr. Oz recommends magnesium for headache sufferers because it 'relaxes arteries and muscles in the body' which is basically what is causing some headaches in the first place (tight muscles and arteries). I take one of these capsules every day. Not all Doctor's think that this is a good treatment for headaches, but it has been helping me, and even if it doesn't help your headache a little extra magnesium can't be bad for you.

Headache Balm

My mum got this headache balm from the market for me a while ago, and I think it really works! It smells like lavender mixed with other things and it is a really relaxing smell. I put it on my temples, at the back of my neck and the sides of my nose (it moisturizers there too!) I think it was about AUD $10.00. If anyone is interested in buying it, leave a comment and I'll get back to you.


Tea
Tea may seem like it wont do a thing to help your headaches, but if you enjoy tea regularly you know that sitting down with a cup of tea is really relaxing. Apparently caffeine helps headaches too, I can't remember where I heard this, but another excuse to have tea? yes please!

Massage
This one may be difficult if you can't afford it or live by yourself, but even if you massage your temples it can really help. If my headache is bad enough and since I live with my parents still, I sometimes ask mum to give my head and back a massage for about 15 minutes.


Get Comfy
When I have a migraine I like to sit on the couch with a comfy pillow and a cup of tea, and if it's not too hot a blanket. Being comfy is really important if you want to relax.

Do Something You Enjoy
If you know me personally or follow my twitter, you'll know that I don't go a day without watching my TV shows (right now I'm loving Pretty Little Liars). When I have a headache they help distract me and it honestly works. Anything you enjoy doing whether it's watching TV, reading, sunbathing or anything is really great to distract you from your headache.

Gentle Exercise 
I'm not talking about going for a 30 minute jog but taking the dog for a slow walk can really distract you and afterwards you will feel more relaxed, plus the exercise will release endorphin's!


Leave Your Phone and Computer
The worst thing I can do when I have a headache is use my phone or laptop. It stresses your eyes and may be the cause for your headache in the first place.

Have a Bath or Shower
Having a shower and washing your hair can really help your headache. When you're in the shower let the water run on high pressure (if you can) and let the pressure of the water massage your head. Also, use a nice smelling body wash and you'll feel even better!

Know the Foods That Make it Worse and Make It Better

Basically the eat most category is the best kind of food to eat when you have a headache. Dairy and sweet things tend to make my headache worse so I stay away from them.


Hopefully if you have read this, you will try something out of these 11 ideas and it works for you!

- Beth :)

No comments:

Post a Comment